Henrik
http://sparcv9.blogspot.com

On 9 jan 2010, at 04.49, bank kus <kus.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

dd if=/dev/urandom of=largefile.txt bs=1G count=8

cp largefile.txt ./test/1.txt &
cp largefile.txt ./test/2.txt &

Thats it now the system is totally unusable after launching the two 8G copies. Until these copies finish no other application is able to launch completely. Checking prstat shows them to be in the sleep state.

Question:
<> I m guessing this because ZFS doesnt use CFQ and that one process is allowed to queue up all its I/O reads ahead of other processes?

What is CFQ, a sheduler, if you are running OpenSolaris, then you do not have CFQ.

<> Is there a concept of priority among I/O reads? I only ask because if root were to launch some GUI application they dont start up until both copies are done. So there is no concept of priority? Needless to say this does not exist on Linux 2.60...
--

Probably not, but ZFS only runs in userspace on Linux with fuse so it will be quite different.