On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:35:32AM -0800, Christopher George wrote:
> > I'm not sure about others on the list, but I have a dislike of AC power
> > bricks in my racks.
>
> I definitely empathize with your position concerning AC power bricks, but
> until the perfect battery is created, and we are far from it, it comes down to
> tradeoffs.  I personally believe the ignition risk, thermal wear-out, and the
> inflexible proprietary nature of Li-Ion solutions simply outweigh the benefits
> of internal or all inclusive mounting for enterprise bound NVRAM.

Is there any data out there that have tracked these sort of ignition
incidents?  I have to admit I'd never heard of this.  We have quite a
few BBU backed RAID controllers in our servers and I've never had
anything remotely like this occur.  I know anecdotal evidence is
meaningless, but this definitely surprised me a little.

My gut tells me the risk of this is pretty low and most are going to
prefer the convenience of an onboard BBU to installing UPS'es in all
their racks (as good a practice as that may be).

Gut isn't the best to go on of course, which is why I'm interested in
seeing some statistics on this sorta thing...

Interesting product though!

Ray