On Jan 14, 2010, at 10:44 AM, "Mr. T Doodle" <tpsdoo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I have played with ZFS but not deployed any production systems using ZFS and would like some opinions....

I have a T-series box with 4 internal drives and would like to deploy ZFS with availability and performance in mind.... ;)

What would some recommended configurations be?
Example: use internal RAID controller to mirror boot drives, and ZFS the other 2?

Can I create one pool with the 3 or 4 drives, install Solaris, and use this pool for other apps?
Also, what happens if a drive fails?

Thanks for any tips and gotchas.

Here's my .02

Have two small disks for rpool mirror and 2 large disks for your data pool mirror.

Raidz will only give you IOPS of a single disk, so why not mirror? You have lots of memory for ARC to read cache and you should get the same performance and redundancy as a raidz.

-Ross