On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Toby Thain <t...@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
> On 16-Jan-10, at 7:30 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>
>>> I am considering building a modest sized storage system with zfs. Some
>>> of the data on this is quite valuable, some small subset to be backed
>>> up "forever", and I am evaluating back-up options with that in mind.
>>
>> You don't need to store the "zfs send" data stream on your backup media.
>> This would be annoying for the reasons mentioned - some risk of being able
>> to restore in future (although that's a pretty small risk) and inability
>> restore with any granularity, i.e. you have to restore the whole FS if you
>> restore anything at all.
>>
>> A better approach would be "zfs send" and pipe directly to "zfs receive"
>> on
>> the external media.  This way, in the future, anything which can read ZFS
>> can read the backup media, and you have granularity to restore either the
>> whole FS, or individual things inside there.
>
> There have also been comments about the extreme fragility of the data stream
> compared to other archive formats. In general it is strongly discouraged for
> these purposes.

Yet it is used in ZFS flash archives on Solaris 10 and are slated for
use in the successor to flash archives.  This initial proposal seems
to imply using the same mechanism for a system image backup (instead
of just system provisioning).

http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/caiman-discuss/2010-January/015909.html

--
Mike Gerdts