Thanks a lot.

I'd looked at SO many different RAID boxes and never had a good feeling about
them from the point of data safety, that when I read the 'A Conversation with
Jeff Bonwick and Bill Moore – The future of file systems' article
(http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1317400), I was convinced that ZFS sounded
like what I needed, and thought I'd try to help others see how good ZFS was and
how to make their own home systems that work. Publishing the notes as articles
had the side-benefit of allowing me to refer back to them when I was
reinstalling a new SXCE build etc afresh... :)

It's good to see that you've been able to set the error reporting time using
HDAT2 for your Samsung HD154UI drives, but it is a pity that the change does
not persist through cold starts.

From a brief look, it looks like like the utility runs under DOS, so I wonder
if it would be possible to convert the code into C and run it immediately after
OpenSolaris has booted? That would seem a reasonable automated workaround. I
might take a little look at the code.

However, the big questions still remain:
1. Does ZFS benefit from shorter error reporting times?
2. Does having shorter error reporting times provide any significant data
safety through, for example, preventing ZFS from kicking a drive from a vdev?

Those are the questions I would like to hear somebody give an authoritative
answer to.

Cheers,
Simon

http://breden.org.uk/2008/03/02/a-home-fileserver-using-zfs/