On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 11:55 AM, John Hoogerdijk
<john.hoogerd...@sun.com> wrote:
> Mike Gerdts wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 1:00 PM, John Hoogerdijk
>> <john.hoogerd...@sun.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Is there a way to zero out unused blocks in a pool?  I'm looking for ways
>>> shrink the size of an opensolaris virtualbox VM and
>>> using the compact subcommand will remove zero'd sectors.
>>>

>> I've long suspected that you should be able to just use mkfile or "dd
>> if=/dev/zero ..." to create a file that consumes most of the free
>> space then delete that file.  Certainly it is not an ideal solution,
>> but seems quite likely to be effective.
>>

> I tried this with mkfile - no joy.

Let me ask a couple of the questions that come just after "are you
sure your computer is plugged in?"

Did you wait enough time for the data to be flushed to disk (or do
sync and wait for it to complete) prior to removing the file?

You did "mkfile $huge /var/tmp/junk" not "mkfile -n $huge /var/tmp/junk", right?

If not, I suspect that "zpool replace" to a thin provisioned disk is
going to be your best bet (as suggested in another message).

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/