> We have the WDC WD15EADS-00P8B0 1.5 TB Caviar Green
> drives.
>
> Unfortunately, these drives have the "fixed" firmware
> and the 8 second idle timeout cannot be changed.
> Since we starting replacing these drives in our pool
> about 6 weeks ago (replacing 1 drive per week), the
> drives has registered almost 40,000 Load Cycles
> (head parking cycles).  At this rate, they won't
> last more than a year.  :(  Neither the wdidle3 nor
>  the wdtler utilities will work with these drives.

Thanks for posting your experiences here.

This could be where the attempt to use less energy too aggressively ends up
making the drives fail prematurely, and thus costing you more in the long
run... I wonder if someone has done the math of the cost of failed drives
versus money saved due to drives using less energy?

How many load cycles are those drives quoted to be good for?

As the revision '00P8B0' was the one quoted in the initial post's WDC /
Synology links, I would appreciate any further reliability / problem feedback
you have regarding using these drives in a RAID array.

Cheers,
Simon

http://breden.org.uk/2008/03/02/a-home-fileserver-using-zfs/