On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:55:21AM -0800, Albert Frenz wrote:
> hi there,
>
> maybe this is a stupid question, yet i haven't found an answer anywhere ;)
> let say i got 3x 1,5tb hdds, can i create equal partitions out of each and
> make a raid5 out of it? sure the safety would drop, but that is not that
> important to me. with roughly 500gb partitions and the raid5 forumla of
> n-1*smallest drive i should be able to get 4tb storage instead of 3tb when
> using 3x 1,5tb in a normal raid5.

The only way you can use more than 3TB is if your RAID5 is not
protecting data on different disks.  By saying "500gb partitions", it
sounds like you want to create a 9 column raid on 3 disks.

The safety wouild definitely drop.  It would drop so much that it's not
really buying you anything.  The failure of any drive would mean loss of
the data.  So if that's already true, why not just put all the disks in
a pool and not mess with a raid?  You'd get 4.5TB.

Partitioning it into pieces and trying to put them all into a single
RAID set just makes the setup more complex, probably slower, and almost
no extra protection.

--
Darren