On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Simon Breden <sbre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, a modded XBOX will play a lot of things but will struggle with highly
> compressed streams and will fail at HD etc. The ION platform is especially
> interesting as these boxes are really cheap, and you can slap Linux + XBMC on
> there for free. Yes, I also hear that Plex running on a Mac Mini is good, but
> they are more expensive than an ION-based box. ION can play HD apparently.
> And what about Plex? I think it's a fork of XBMC. Does it have the same level
> of development support as XBMC?

Not sure this is the right place to discuss all that :)

It is a fork of XBMC. I am not sure where it improves upon it, but
I've seen it running in person, 1080p/mkv/looks gorgeous, downloads
info about the movies and all sorts of great stuff.

I've thought about an ION solution. Small, cheaper, etc. But XBMC on
top of Windows scares me a bit. I don't consider Windows a stable
foundation for anything. Linux-based XBMC ports too were annoying to
try to get going a while back. Think it's better now...

The normal XBOX can do 1080i at the max, and the menus/UI look great,
but it struggles with mkvs and other things. It's one of those "great
a few years ago" solutions.