On Jan 30, 2010, at 2:53 PM, Mark <white...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have a 1U server that supports 2 SATA drives in the chassis. I have 2 750 GB SATA drives. When I install opensolaris, I assume it will want to use all or part of one of those drives for the install. That leaves me with the remaining part of disk 1, and all of disk 2.

Question is, how do I best install OS to maximize my ability to use ZFS snapshots and recover if one drive fails?

Alternatively, I guess I could add a small USB drive to use solely for the OS< and then have all of the 2 750 drives for ZFS. Is that a bad idea since the OS drive will be "standalone"?

Just install the OS on the first drive and add the second drive to form a mirror. There are wikis and blogs on how to add the second drive to form an rpool mirror.

You'll then have a 750GB rpool which you can use for your media and rest safely knowing your data is protected in the event of a disk failure.

-Ross