Le 02/02/2010 20:26, Marc Nicholas a écrit :
On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Brandon High <bh...@freaks.com <mailto:bh...@freaks.com>> wrote:

    On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Simon Breden <sbre...@gmail.com
    <mailto:sbre...@gmail.com>> wrote:
    > Which consumer-priced 1.5TB drives do people currently recommend?

    I happened to be looking at the Hitachi product information, and
    noticed that the Deskstar 7K2000 appears to be supported in RAID
    configurations. One of the applications listed is "Video editing
    arrays".

    http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/products/deskstar/7K2000/

I've been having good success with the Western Digital Caviar Black drives...which are cousins of their Enterprise RE3 platform. AFAIK, you're stuck at 1TB or 2TB capacities but I've managed to get some good deals on them...

-marc

We're running HDS722020ALA330 (revisions A20N and A28A - 8 of each) for 5 weeks now without any problems. We also have 14 WD20EADS (at least 3 different versions starting with 00S, 00R, 32S - can't tell right now, inquiry is truncated and the disks are in the servers).

All of these disks were bought at the same time (about 5 weeks ago) and while we had no problems with the hitachi drives, we already had 4 failures with the WD, which apparently can not be linked to the server, since both servers are the same and the disks are mixed on the controllers (part of them WD, part of them hitachi).

On the performance side, Hitachi drive seem more responsive (disks are configured in raidz3 and the limiting factor in IOs is the WD drives). Regarding the sequential write perf we made some tests with dd, writing at the beginning of the disk and at the end of the disk (512MB each time). Hitachi sustains 130MB/s at the beginning of the drive and 75MB/s at the end. For WD, the figures are 110MB/s and 55MB/s.
These figures are from memory.

We decided that we won't buy any WD drives.
When warranty's over they'll get replaced with hitachis.

--arnaud