This is RFE 6425091 "want 'zfs diff' to list files that have changed between snapshots", which covers both file & directory changes, and file removal/creation/renaming. We actually have a prototype of zfs diff. Hopefully someday we will finish it up...

--matt

Henu wrote:
Hello

Is there a possibility to get a list of changed files between two snapshots? Currently I do this manually, using basic file system functions offered by OS. I scan every byte in every file manually and it is of course awfully slow.

If I have understood correctly, ZFS could use its own information about which files use which blocks, and thereby calculate the difference very quickly without having to scan every byte. Currently I haven't found any tools like this. My application uses libZFS to handle ZFS.

On the other hand, I have noticed that ZFS send generates difference very quickly, even if it needs to find the small difference between many unchanged files. From this, I have concluded that it may be using the ZFS information to quickly see if file has been modified or not. Do you have any idea how the send works? Maybe I could use its output to get the list of changed files...

Henrik Heino