matthew patton <patto...@yahoo.com> writes:

> true. but I buy a Ferrari for the engine and bodywork and chassis
> engineering. It is totally criminal what Sun/EMC/Dell/Netapp do
> charging customers 10x the open-market rate for standard drives. A
> RE3/4 or NS drive is the same damn thing no matter if I buy it from
> ebay or my local distributor. Dell/Sun/Netapp buy drives by the
> container load. Oh sure, I don't mind paying an extra couple
> pennies/GB for all the strenuous efforts the vendors spend on firmware
> verification (HA!).

I don't know what the J4500 drive sled contains, but for the J4200 and
J4400 they need to include quite a bit of circuitry to handle SAS
protocol all the way, for multipathing and to be able to accept a mix of
SAS and SATA drives.  it's not just a piece of sheet metal, some plastic
and a LED.

the pricing does look strange, and I think it would be better to raise
the price of the enclosure (which is silly cheap when empty IMHO) and
reduce the drive prices somewhat.  but that's just psychology, and
doesn't really matter for total cost.

--
Kjetil T. Homme
Redpill Linpro AS - Changing the game