>      b> (4) Hold backups from windows machines, mac (time machine),
>      b> linux.
>
> for time machine you will probably find yourself using COMSTAR and the
> GlobalSAN iSCSI initiator because Time Machine does not seem willing
> to work over NFS.  Otherwise, for Macs you should definitely use NFS,
> and you should definitely use the automounter, and you should use it
> with the 'net' option (let Mac OS pick were tou mount the fs) if you
> have heirarchical mounts.

A few comments here ... True time machine won't work across NFS, at least,
not unless you enable the "unsupported" bit, but depending on the server OS
... FreeNAS for example ... uses ZFS as the underlying filesystem, and
easily allows you to create AFP shares which support time machine.

As for mac access via nfs, automounter, etc ... I found that the UID/GID /
posix permission bits were a problem, and I found it was easier and more
reliable for the macs to use SMB instead of NFS.  At least in my
environment.