On 02/ 6/10 11:21 AM, Thorsten Hirsch wrote:

I wonder where ~10G have gone. All the subdirs in / use ~4.5G only
(that might be the size of REFER in opensolaris-7), and my $HOME uses
38.5M, that's correct. But since rpool has a size of>  15G there must
be more than 10G somewhere.

Do you have any old Boot Environments (BEs) around? In order to
*really* empty /var/pkg/downloads, you have to delete every old BE
because /var/pkg/downloads is protected by BE snapshots. Each new
BE seems to take 5GB or so in  /var/pkg/downloads, so it adds up fast!

AFAIK there is no way to get around this. You can set a flag so that pkg
tries to empty /var/pkg/downloads, but even though it looks empty, it
won't actually become empty until you delete the snapshots, and IIRC
you still have to manually delete the contents. I understand that you
can try creating a separate dataset and mounting it on /var/pkg, but I
haven't tried it yet, and I have no idea if doing so gets around the
BE snapshot problem. Sadly this renders the whole concept of BEs
rather useless if you boot from smallish SSDs or HDs - my workaround
is to keep the old BEs on a backup disks, just like the old UFS days :-)
(snapshots work, too).

HTH -- Frank