Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Fri, 5 Feb 2010, Rob Logan wrote:

Intel's RAM is faster because it needs to be.
I'm confused how AMD's dual channel, two way interleaved
128-bit DDR2-667 into an on-cpu controller is faster than
Intel's Lynnfield dual channel, Rank and Channel interleaved
DDR3-1333 into an on-cpu controller.
http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3634

I see that you are reading a game computing web site. It is for people who want to build PCs to run video games under Windows. The most useful thing I see in the referenced article is that these new Intel Core i7 CPUs are able to idle at much lower power levels, which seems quite useful for a home NAS server. Otherwise I don't see much which indicates what the performance would be with Solaris/zfs in a storage-setup.

The main focus should be on how much ECC RAM you can stuff into the motherboard and how much it costs. After that comes multi-threaded memory I/O performance and power consumption. Raw CPU computational performance should be way down in the priority level. Even a fairly slow CPU should be able to saturate gigabit ethernet.

Bob
I would second Bob's recommendations. For a storage box, the primary things of important are having enough ECC RAM to cache everything. A big L2ARC SSD seems to be equally important for those using dedup regularly.

Also, be /very/ careful with buying non-Xeon Intel CPUs. With anything prior to the Nehalem architecture, the memory controller was on the motherboard, and you specifically have to get a motherboard which supports ECC Ram. For the Nehalem and later architectures (Core i3, i5, i7), with the memory controller on the CPU, only SOME of them support ECC RAM. I /strongly/ suggest looking at the CPU specs from Intel first, when getting any non-Xeon CPU or motherboard:

http://ark.intel.com/Default.aspx

AMD, of course, does not have this problem. ALL x64 AMD CPUs sold these days support ECC. And, it seems that finding an AMD motherboard which has

Frankly, I suspect that a small storage box pumping data out a single 1Gbit ethernet interfaces really doesn't stress a CPU that much, in the big scheme of things. I like the original Phenom X3 or X4 as a good compromise between modest L2 cache, modest power draw, good multi-core, and really cheap price.

If you really want something hard-core, I'd step over into the older AMD Barcelona-based Opterons. They're equivalent to the Phenom, plus their motherboards come with just stupid numbers of DIMM slots.

:-)

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support