On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 09:11:02PM -0600, Tracey Bernath wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Daniel Carosone <d...@geek.com.au> wrote:
> > Just be clear: mirror ZIL by all means, but don't mirror l2arc, just
> > add more devices and let them load-balance.   This is especially true
> > if you're sharing ssd writes with ZIL, as slices on the same devices.
> >
> > Well, the problem I am trying to solve is wouldn't it read 2x faster with
> the mirror?  It seems once I can drive the single device to 10 queued
> actions, and 100% busy, it would be more useful to have two channels to the
> same data. Is ZFS not smart enough to understand that there are two
> identical mirror devices in the cache to split requests to? Or, are you
> saying that ZFS is smart enough to cache it in two places, although not
> mirrored?

First, Bob is right, measurement trumps speculation.  Try it.

As for speculation, you're thinking only about reads.  I expect
reading from l2arc devices will be the same as reading from any other
zfs mirror, and largely the same in both cases above; load balanced
across either device.  In the rare case of a bad read from unmirrored
l2arc, data will be fetched from the pool, so mirroring l2arc doesn't
add any resiliency benefit.

However, your cache needs to be populated and maintained as well, and
this needs writes.  Twice as many of them for the mirror as for the
"stripe". Half of what is written never needs to be read again. These
writes go to the same ssd devices you're using for ZIL, on commodity
ssd's which are not well write-optimised, they may be hurting zil
latency by making the ssd do more writing, stealing from the total
iops count on the channel, and (as a lesser concern) adding wear
cycles to the device.

When you're already maxing out the IO, eliminating wasted cycles opens
your bottleneck, even if only a little.

Once you reach steady state, I don't know how much turnover in l2arc
contents you will have, and therefore how many extra writes we're
talking about.  It may not be many, but they are unnecessary ones.

Normally, we'd talk about measuring a potential benefit, and then
choosing based on the results.  In this case, if I were you I'd
eliminate the unnecessary writes, and measure the difference more as a
matter of curiosity and research, since I was already set up to do so.

--
Dan.