On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
Actually, that's easy.  Although the "zpool create" happens instantly, all
the hardware raid configurations required an initial resilver.  And they
were exactly what you expect.  Write 1 Gbit/s until you reach the size of
the drive.  I watched the progress while I did other things, and it was
incredibly consistent.

This sounds like an initial 'silver' rather than a 'resilver'. In a 'resilver' process it is necessary to read other disks in the vdev in order to reconstruct the disk content. As a result, we now have additional seeks and reads going on, which seems considerably different than pure writes.

What I am interested in is the answer to these sort of questions:

 o Does a mirror device resilver faster than raidz?

 o Does a mirror device in a triple mirror resilver faster than a
   two-device mirror?

 o Does a raidz2 with 9 disks resilver faster or slower than one with
   6 disks?

The answer to these questions could vary depending on how well the pool has been "aged" and if it has been used for a while close to 100% full.

Before someone pipes up and says that measuring this is useless since results like this are posted all over the internet, I challenge that someone to find this data already published somewhere.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn