well, both I guess...

I thought the dataset name was based upon the file system...so I was assuming
that if i renamed the zfs filesystem (with zfs rename) it would also rename the
dataset...

ie...
#zfs create tank/fred
gives...
NAME                        USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
tank/fred                       26.0K  4.81G  10.0K  /tank/fred

 and then
#zfs rename tank/fred tank/mary
will give...
NAME                        USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
tank/mary                       26.0K  4.81G  10.0K  /tank/mary

It's all rather confusing to a newbit like me I must admit...so please post
examples so I can understand it.