From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org
[mailto:zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Tomas Ögren
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2010 6:45 AM
To: Ronny Egner
Cc: zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] ZFS Storage system with 72 GB memoryconstantly has
11 GB free memory

On 26 February, 2010 - Ronny Egner sent me these 0,6K bytes:

> Dear All,
>
> our storage system running opensolaris b133 + ZFS has a lot of memory for
> caching. 72 GB total. While testing we observed free memory never falls below
> 11 GB.
>
> Even if we create a ram disk free memory drops below 11 GB but will be 11 GB
> shortly after (i assume ARC cache is shrunken in this context).
>
> As far as i know ZFS is designed to use all memory except 1 GB for caching....

http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/uts/common/fs/zfs/arc.c#arc_init

http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/uts/common/fs/zfs/arc.c#arc_reclaim_needed

So you have a max limit which it won't try to go past, but also a "keep
this much free for the rest of the system". Both are a bit too
protective for a pure ZFS/NFS server in my opinion (but can be tuned).

You can check most variables with f.ex:
echo freemem/D | mdb -k

On one server here, I have in /etc/system:

*
http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Evil_Tuning_Guide#Limiting_the_ARC_Cache
* about 7.8*1024*1024*1024, must be < physmem*pagesize
(2062222*4096=8446861312 right now)
set zfs:zfs_arc_max = 8350000000
set zfs:zfs_arc_meta_limit = 7000000000
* some tuning
set ncsize = 500000
set nfs:nrnode = 50000

And I've done runtime modifications to swapfs_minfree to force usage of another
chunk of memory.

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, st...@acc.umu.se, http://www.acc.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå