Eduardo Bragatto wrote:
On Mar 1, 2010, at 4:04 PM, Tim Cook wrote:

The primary concern as I understand it is performance. If they're close in size, it shouldn't be a big deal, but when you've got mismatched rg's it can cause quite the performance troubleshooting nightmare. It's the same reason you don't want to make a pool that has one raid group that's entirely 15kRPM SAS drives and the other 5400RPM SATA.

Thanks, Tim. I just finished some tests and they ratify exactly what you said.

If it's of anyone else's interest, here's a brief description of my experiment.

I have setup three different pools using a total of 15 disks:

Case #1 - 3 x raidz ( 5 + 5 + 5 disks )
Case #2 - 2 x raidz ( 7 + 7 disks) + 1 spare
Case #3 - 2 x raidz ( 7 + 8 disks)

As expected, performance was higher in case #1 and worst in case #3.

The differences, however, happened only to write operations with files larger than 1GB.

You would also see a performance hit when the pool is getting full, the smaller vdev will fill and all the I/O will be on the bigger one.

--
Ian.