We have an IMAP e-mail server running on a Solaris 10 10/09 system.
It uses six ZFS filesystems built on a single zpool with 14 daily
snapshots.  Every day at 11:56, a cron command destroys the oldest
snapshots and creates new ones, both recursively.  For about four
minutes thereafter, the load average drops and I/O to the disk devices
drops to almost zero.  Then, the load average shoots up to about ten
times normal and then declines to normal over about four minutes, as
disk activity resumes.  The statistics return to their normal state
about ten minutes after the cron command runs.

Is it destroying old snapshots or creating new ones that causes this
dead time?  What does each of these procedures do that could affect
the system?  What can I do to make this less visible to users?