On Mar 6, 2010, at 5:38 PM, tomwaters wrote:

> Hi guys,
>   On my home server (2009.6) I have a 2 HDD's in a mirrored rpool.
>
> I just added a 3rd to the mirror and made all disks bootable (ie. installgrub
> on the mirror disks).
>
> My though is this, I remove the 3rd mirror disk and offsite it as a backup.
>
> That way if I mess up the rpool, I can get back the offsite HDD, boot from it
> and re-mirror this to the other 2 HDD's and I am back in business.
>
> I plan to leave the 3rd mirror device in the rpool (just no HDD loaded so it
> will show as degraded all the time). On a monthly basis, I'll physically
> insert the 3rd HDD and get it to resilver and then remove the 3rd hdd offsite
> again - ie. refresh the backup.
>
> Anyone see any flaws in this plan?

To do this either:
        1. upgrade to a later version where the "zpool split" command is
available
        2. zfs send/receive to the disk to be stored offsite

IMHO, splitting mirros for backups is a waste of time, but it is a popular way
of
backup for non-ZFS file systems.
 -- richard

ZFS storage and performance consulting at http://www.RichardElling.com
ZFS training on deduplication, NexentaStor, and NAS performance
http://nexenta-atlanta.eventbrite.com (March 16-18, 2010)