From: Ross Walker [mailto:rswwal...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 3:53 PM
To: Roch Bourbonnais
Cc: Matt Cowger; zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] terrible ZFS performance compared to UFS on ramdisk
(70% drop)

On Mar 9, 2010, at 1:42 PM, Roch Bourbonnais
<roch.bourbonn...@sun.com> wrote:

> I think This is highlighting that there is extra CPU requirement to
> manage small blocks in ZFS.
> The table would probably turn over if you go to 16K zfs records and
> 16K reads/writes form the application.
>
> Next step for you is to figure how much reads/writes IOPS do you
> expect to take in the real workloads and whether or not the
> filesystem portion
> will represent a significant drain of CPU resource.

I think it highlights more the problem of ARC vs ramdisk, or
specifically ZFS on ramdisk while ARC is fighting with ramdisk for
memory.

It is a wonder it didn't deadlock.

If I were to put a ZFS file system on a ramdisk, I would limit the
size of the ramdisk and ARC so both, plus the kernel fit nicely in
memory with room to spare for user apps.

-Ross