Exactly!

This is what I meant, at least when it comes to backing up ZFS datasets.
There
are tools available NOW, such as Star, which will backup ZFS datasets due to
the
POSIX nature of those datasets.  As well, Amanda, Bacula, NetBackup,
Networker
and probably some others I missed.  Re-inventing the wheel is not required
in these
cases.

As I said in my original e-mail, Star is probably perfect once it gets ZFS
(e.g. NFS v4)
ACL and NDMP support (e.g. accepting NDMP input streams and ouputting onto
tape).

ZVOLs are the piece I'm still not sure about though.  So I repeat my
question: how
are people backing up ZVOLs today?  (If Star could do ZVOLs as well as NDMP
and
ZFS ACLs, then it literally *is* perfect.)

--
"You can choose your friends, you can choose the deals." - Equity Private

"If Linux is faster, it's a Solaris bug." - Phil Harman

Blog - http://whatderass.blogspot.com/
Twitter - @khyron4eva