On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 9:34 AM, David Dyer-Bennet <d...@dd-b.net> wrote:

> On 3/16/2010 23:21, Erik Trimble wrote:

>>> The SI meaning was first proposed in the 1920s, so far as I can tell.
>>>  Our entire history of special usage took place while the SI definition was
>>> in place.  We simply mis-used it.  There was at the time no prefix for what
>>> we actually wanted (not giga then, but mega), so we borrowed and repurposed
>>> mega.
>>>
>>>  Doesn't matter whether the "original" meaning of K/M/G was a
>> power-of-10.  What matters is internal usage in the industry.  And that has
>> been consistent with powers-of-2 for 40+ years.  There has been NO outside
>> understanding that GB = 1 billion bytes until the Storage Industry decided
>> it wanted it that way.  That's pretty much the definition of distorted
>> advertising.
>>

> That's simply not true.  The first computer I programmed, an IBM 1620, was
> routinely referred to as having "20K" of core.  That meant 20,000 decimal
> digits; not 20,480.  The other two memory configurations were similarly
> "40K" for 40,000 and "60K" for 60,000.  The first computer I was *paid* for
> programming, the 1401, had "8K" of core, and that was 8,000 locations, not
> 8,192.  This was right on 40 years ago (fall of 1969 when I started working
> on the 1401).  Yes, neither was brand new, but IBM was still leasing them to
> customers (it came in configurations of 4k, 8k, 12k, and I think 16k; been a
> while!).

At this point in history it doesn't matter much who's right or wrong
anymore.

IMHO, what matters is that pretty much everything from the disk controller
to the CPU and network interface is advertised in power-of-2 terms and disks
sit alone using power-of-10. And students are taught that computers work
with bits and so everything is a power of 2.

Just last week I had to remind people that a 24-disk JBOD with 1TB disks
wouldn't provide 24TB of storage since disks show up as 931GB.

It *is* an anomaly and I don't expect it to be fixed.

Perhaps some disk vendor could add more bits to its drives and advertise a
"real 1TB disk" using power-of-2 and show how people are being misled by
other vendors that use power-of-10. Highly unlikely but would sure get some
respect from the storage community.

--
Giovanni