> 1. NDMP for putting "zfs send" streams on tape over the network.  So

Tell me if I missed something here.  I don't think I did.  I think this
sounds like crazy talk.

I used NDMP up till November, when we replaced our NetApp with a Solaris Sun
box.  In NDMP, to choose the source files, we had the ability to browse the
fileserver, select files, and specify file matching patterns.  My point is:
NDMP is file based.  It doesn't allow you to spawn a process and backup a
data stream.

Unless I missed something.  Which I doubt.  ;-)

> To Ed Harvey:
>
> Some questions about your use of NetBackup on your secondary server:
>
> 1. Do you successfully backup ZVOLs?  We know NetBackup should be able
> to capture datasets (ZFS file systems) using straight POSIX semantics.

I wonder if I'm confused by that question.  "backup zvols" to me, would
imply something at a lower level than the filesystem.  No, we're not doing
that.  We just specify "backup the following directory and all of its
subdirectories."  Just like any other typical backup tool.

The reason we bought NetBackup is because it intelligently supports all the
permissions, ACL's, weird (non-file) file types, and so on.  And it
officially supports ZFS, and you can pay for an enterprise support contract.

Basically, I consider the purchase cost of NetBackup to be insurance.
Although I never plan to actually use it for anything, because all our bases
are covered by "zfs send" to hard disks and tapes.  I actually trust the
"zfs send" solution more, but I can't claim that I, or anything I've ever
done, is 100% infallible.  So I need a commercial solution too, just so I
can point my finger somewhere if needed.

> 2. What version of NetBackup are you using?

I could look it up, but I'd have to VPN in and open up a console, etc etc.
We bought it in November, so it's whatever was current 4-5 months ago.

> 3. You simply run the NetBackup agent locally on the (Open)Solaris
> server?

Yup.  We're doing no rocket science with it.  Ours is the absolute most
basic NetBackup setup you could possibly have.  We're not using 90% of the
features of NetBackup.  It's installed on a Solaris 10 server, with locally
attached tape library, and it does backups directly from local disk to local
tape.