From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org
[mailto:zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Harry Putnam
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 1:34 PM
To: zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: [zfs-discuss] snapshots as versioning tool

This may be a bit dimwitted since I don't really understand how
snapshots work.  I mean the part concerning COW (copy on right) and
how it takes so little room.

But here I'm not asking about that.

It appears to me that the default snapshot setup shares some aspects
of a vcs (version control system) tool.

I wonder if any of you use it that way.

Here is one thing I've considered but not done yet.

When I do video projects or any projects for that matter.
I sometimes want backups every 10 minutes or so, so as not to loose
some piece of script that isn't finished or the like.

Or with something like a flash project, you might want to make sure
you will be able to recover a version from a while back.

So doing the project on zfs filesystem (maybe as nfs or cifs mount)
would offer a way to do that.

I wondered if it would be possible to run a snapshot system
independent of the default one.  I mean so a default setup of auto
snapshotting would continue unaffected.

I'm thinking of scripting something like 10 minute snapshots during
the time I'm working on a project, then just turn it off when not
working on it.  When project is done... zap all those snapshots.

Am I missing something basic that make this a poor use of zfs?

Oh, something I meant to ask... is there some standard way to tell
before calling for a snapshot, if the directory structure has changed
at all, other than aging I mean.  Is there something better than
running `diff -r [...]' between existing structure and last snapshot.