On 03/31/10 10:39 AM, Peter Tribble wrote:
I have a pool (on an X4540 running S10U8) in which a disk failed, and the
hot spare kicked in. That's perfect. I'm happy.

Then a second disk fails.

Now, I've replaced the first failed disk, and it's resilvered and I have my
hot spare back.

But: why hasn't it used the spare to cover the other failed drive? And
can I hotspare it manually?  I could do a straight replace, but that
isn't quite the same thing.

Was the spare spare when the second drive failed? If not, I don't think it will get used. My understanding is the spares are added when the drive is faulted, so it's an event rather then level driven action.

At least I'm not the only one seeing multiple drive failures this week!

--
Ian.