>The only way to guarantee consistency in the snapshot is to always
>(regardless of ZIL enabled/disabled) give priority for sync writes to get
>into the TXG before async writes.
>
>If the OS does give priority for sync writes going into TXG's before async
>writes (even with ZIL disabled), then after spontaneous ungraceful reboot,
>the latest uberblock is guaranteed to be consistent.

This is what Jeff Bonwick says in the "zil synchronicity" arc case:

   "What I mean is that the barrier semantic is implicit even with no ZIL at
all.
   In ZFS, if event A happens before event B, and you lose power, then
   what you'll see on disk is either nothing, A, or both A and B.  Never just B.
   It is impossible for us not to have at least barrier semantics."

So there's no chance that a *later* async write will overtake an earlier
sync *or* async write.

Casper