> On Apr 2, 2010, at 2:29 PM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> > I've also heard that the risk for unexpected failure of your pool is
> higher if/when you reach 100% capacity.  I've heard that you should
> always create a small ZFS filesystem within a pool, and give it some
> reserved space, along with the filesystem that you actually plan to use
> in your pool.  Anyone care to offer any comments on that?
>
> Define "failure" in this context?
>
> I am not aware of a data loss failure when near full.  However, all
> file systems
> will experience performance degradation for write operations as they
> become
> full.

To tell the truth, I'm not exactly sure.  Because I've never lost any ZFS
pool or filesystem.  I only have it deployed on 3 servers, and only one of
those gets heavy use.  It only filled up once, and it didn't have any
problem.  So I'm only trying to understand "the great beyond," that which I
have never known myself.  Learn from other peoples' experience,
preventively.  Yes, I do embrace a lot of voodoo and superstition in doing
sysadmin, but that's just cuz stuff ain't perfect, and I've seen so many
things happen that were supposedly not possible.  (Not talking about ZFS in
that regard...  yet.)  Well, unless you count the issue I'm having right
now, with two identical disks appearing as different sizes...  But I don't
think that's a zfs problem.

I recall some discussion either here or on opensolaris-discuss or
opensolaris-help, where at least one or a few people said they had some sort
of problem or problems, and they were suspicious about the correlation
between it happening, and the disk being full.  I also recall talking to
some random guy at a conference who said something similar.  But it's all
vague.  I really don't know.

And I have nothing concrete.  Hence the post asking for peoples' comments.
Somebody might relate something they experienced less vague than what I
know.