On 07.04.2010 18:05, Ron Marshall wrote:
> I finally decided to get rid of my Windows XP partition as I rarely used it
> except to fire it up to install OS updates and virus signatures.  I had some
> trouble locating information on how to do this so I thought I'd document it
> here.
>
> My system is Toshiba Tecra M9.  It had four partitions on it.
>
> Partition 1 - NTFS Windows XP OS (Drive C:)
> Partition 2 - NTFS Windows data partition (D:)
> Partition 3 - FAT32
> Partition 4 - Solaris2
>
> Partition 1 and 2 where laid down by my company's standard OS install.  I had
> shrunk these using QTparted to enable me to install OpenSolaris.
>
> Partition 3 was setup to have a common file system mountable by OpenSolaris
> and Windows.  There may be ways to do this with NTFS now, but this was a
> legacy from older Solaris installs.
>
> Partition 4 is my OpenSolaris ZFS install
>
> Step 1) Backuped up all my data from Partition 3, and any files I needed from
> Partition 1 and 2.  I also had a current snapshot of my OpenSolaris partition
> (Partition 4).
>
> Step 2) Delete Partitions 1,2, and 3.  I did this using fdisk option in
> format under Opensolaris.
>
>    format -> Select Disk 0 (make note of the short drive name alias, mine was
> c4t0d0)
>
> You will receive a warning something like this;
> [disk formatted]
> /dev/dsk/c4t0d0s0 is part of active ZFS pool rpool. Please see zpool(1M)
>
> Then select fdisk from the FORMAT MENU
>
> You will see something like this;
>
> Total disk size is 14593 cylinders
>              Cylinder size is 16065 (512 byte) blocks
>

>    Cylinders
>       Partition                Status         Type
> Start         End     Length    %
>       =========   ======    ============  =====   ===   ======   ===
>           1                                          FAT32LBA
>               x     xxxx    xxxx            xx
>           2                                          FAT32LBA
>          xxxx    xxxx     xxxx            xx
>           3                                          Win95 FAT32
>         5481  8157    267             18
>           4                      Active         Solaris2
>         8158  14579    6422          44
>

> SELECT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
>    1. Create a partition
>    2. Specify the active partition
>    3. Delete a partition
>    4. Change between Solaris and Solaris2 Partition IDs
>    5. Edit/View extended partitions
>    6. Exit (update disk configuration and exit)
>    7. Cancel (exit without updating disk configuration)
> Enter Selection:
>
> Delete the partitions 1, 2 and 3 (Don't forget to back them up before you do
> this)
>
> Using the fdisk menu create a new Solaris2 partition for use by ZFS.  When
> you are done you should see something like this;
>
>                            Cylinder size is 16065 (512 byte) blocks
>
>                                                            Cylinders
>       Partition               Status          Type
> Start         End     Length        %
> [...]

I'd say you aren't completely done at that point. I wouldn't like having
two separate zpools on one disk, so I'd consolidate into one pool.

This could be done with beadm/luupgrade:
1) create an alternate boot environment on the new pool, which starts at
the beginning of the disk
2) move all relevant data to the pool which is at the beginning of the disk
3) boot into the new boot environemnt
4) destory the pool at the end of the disk
5) remove the obsolete partition
6) expand the partition at the start of the disk
7) then you'll probably have to boot from a live-cd (maybe this can be
omitted)
8) expand the slice which holds the new pool
9) temporary mount the new pool (with zpool import) and expand it to use
the full slice (I think zpool attach does this trick)
10) run installboot to be sure you can boot again
11) reboot

What do you think?

- Thomas