Thank you for the replies guys!

I was actually already planning to get another 4 gigs of ram for the box right
away anyway, but thank you for mentioning it! As there appears to be a couple
ways to "skin the cat" here i think i am going to try both a 14 spindle RaidZ2
and 2 X 7 RaidZ2 configuration and see what the performance is like. I have a
fews days of grace before i need to have this server ready for duty.

Something i forgot to note in my original post is the performance numbers i am
concerned with are going to be during reads primarily. There could be at any
one point 4 media players attempting to stream media from this server. The
media players all have 100mb interfaces so as long i can can reliable stream
400mb/s it should be ok (this is assuming all the media players were playing
high bitrate Blueray streams at one time). Any writing to this array would
happen pretty infrequently and i normally schedule any file transfers for the
wee hours of the morning anyway.