Hi Daniel,

D'oh...

I found a related bug when I looked at this yesterday but I didn't think
it was your problem because you didn't get a busy message.

See this RFE:

http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6700597

Cindy
On 04/07/10 17:59, Daniel Bakken wrote:
We have found the problem. The mountpoint property on the sender was at one time changed from the default, then later changed back to defaults using zfs set instead of zfs inherit. Therefore, zfs send included these local "non-default" properties in the stream, even though the local properties are effectively set at defaults. This caused the receiver to stop processing subsequent properties in the stream because the mountpoint isn't valid on the receiver.

I tested this theory with a spare zpool. First I used "zfs inherit mountpoint promise1/archive" to remove the "local" setting (which was exactly the same value as the default). This time the compression=gzip property was correctly received.

It seems like a bug to me that one failed property in a stream prevents the rest from being applied. I should have used zfs inherit, but it would be best if zfs receive handled failures more gracefully, and attempted to set as many properties as possible.

Thanks to Cindy and Tom for their help.

Daniel