> From: Bob Friesenhahn [mailto:bfrie...@simple.dallas.tx.us]
>
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> >
> > Just be aware that if *any* of your devices fail, all is lost.
> (Because
> > you've said it's configured as a nonredundant stripe.)
>
> The good news is that it is easy to convert any single-disk vdev into
> a mirror vdev.  It is also easy to convert a mirror vdev into a
> single-disk vdev.  This means that you can upgrade your simple
> "stripe" into a stripe of mirrors.

A really good point.

Yes, you can take a 2-disk stripe volume, and make a 4-disk stripe of
mirrors volume of the same size.

No, you cannot take a 2-disk volume, and make it a 3-disk raidz volume.
Unless you're willing to destroy and restore all your data.

Also, since the question was "can I expand my volume just by adding more
disks" this is worth mention too:  Whatever type of volume you have, be it a
stripe, a mirror, a stripe of mirrors, a raidz set, or whatever ... You can
always expand the volume by just adding disks to it.  But if you're adding
non-redundant disks, you're not fully redundant anymore.  If you add a
non-redundant disk to some pool that had redundancy, and your new disk dies,
then your pool is lost.

If you have a raidz volume, of "n" disks, you cannot simply add 1 disk, and
have a raidz volume of "n+1" disks.

I don't know if I'm just adding to confusion here.  Sorry if it's not more
clear.