In my earlier investigations of ZFS, I ran across a product called StorageTek
Availability Suite that sounds like it might do what you want.  If I recall
correctly, it would allow you to define devices that are actually hosted on
another server, and you could use ZFS to mirror those devices.  That,
unfortunately, is the extent of my knowledge on that product.

-
Cameron Hanover
chano...@umich.edu

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.  It is the
argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
--William Pitt, House of Commons, 11/18/1783