Hi Wolf,

Which Solaris release is this?

If it is an OpenSolaris system running a recent build, you might
consider the zpool split feature, which splits a mirrored pool into two
separate pools, while the original pool is online.

If possible, attach the spare disks to create the mirrored pool as
a first step.

See the example below.

Thanks,

Cindy

You can attach the spare disks to the existing pool to create the
mirrored pool:

# zpool attach tank disk-1 spare-disk-1
# zpool attach tank disk-2 spare-disk-2

Which gives you a pool like this:

# zpool status tank
  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
scrub: resilver completed after 0h0m with 0 errors on Tue Apr 27 14:36:28 2010
config:

        NAME         STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank         ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0   ONLINE       0     0     0
            c2t9d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
            c2t5d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-1   ONLINE       0     0     0
            c2t10d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c2t6d0   ONLINE       0     0     0  56.5K resilvered

errors: No known data errors

Then, split the mirrored pool, like this:

# zpool split tank tank2
# zpool import tank2
# zpool status tank tank2
  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
scrub: resilver completed after 0h0m with 0 errors on Tue Apr 27 14:36:28 2010
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank        ONLINE       0     0     0
          c2t9d0    ONLINE       0     0     0