On Wed, 28 Apr 2010, Jim Horng wrote:

So on the point of not need an migration back.

Even at 144 disk. they won't be on the same raid group. So figure out what is the best raid group size for you since zfs don't support changing number of disk in raidz yet. I usually use the number of the slots per shelf. or a good number is 7~10 for raidz1 and 10~20 for raidz2 or raidz3

Good luck with the 20 disks in raidz2 or raidz3.

If you are going to base the number of disks per vdev on the shelf/rack layout then it makes more sense to base it on the number of disk shelves/controllers than it does the number of slots per shelf. You would want to distribute the disks in your raidz2 vdevs across the shelves rather than devote a shelf to one raidz2 vdev. At least that is what you would do if you care about performance and reliability. If a shelf dies, your pool should remain alive. Likewise, there is likely more I/O bandwidth available if the vdevs are spread across controllers.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn