On 29 April, 2010 - Richard Elling sent me these 2,5K bytes:

> >> With these lower numbers, our pool is much more responsive over NFS..
> >
> > But taking snapshots is quite bad.. A single recursive snapshot over
> > ~800 filesystems took about 45 minutes, with NFS operations taking 5-10
> > seconds.. Snapshots usually take 10-30 seconds..
> >
> >> scrub: scrub in progress for 0h40m, 0.10% done, 697h29m to go
> >
> > scrub: scrub in progress for 1h41m, 2.10% done, 78h35m to go
> >
> > This is chugging along..
> >
> > The server is a Fujitsu RX300 with a Quad Xeon 1.6GHz, 6G ram, 8x400G
> > SATA through a U320SCSI<->SATA box - Infortrend A08U-G1410, Sol10u8.
>
> slow disks == poor performance

I know they're not "fast", but they're not "should take 10-30 seconds to
create a directory". They do perfectly well in all combinations, except
when a scrub comes along (or sometimes when a snapshot feels like taking
45 minutes instead of 4.5 seconds). iostat says the disks aren't 100%
busy, the storage box itself doesn't seem to be busy, yet with zfs they
go downhill in some conditions..

> > Should have enough oompf, but when you combine snapshot with a
> > scrub/resilver, sync performance gets abysmal.. Should probably try
> > adding a ZIL when u9 comes, so we can remove it again if performance
> > goes crap.
>
> A separate log will not help.  Try faster disks.

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, st...@acc.umu.se, http://www.acc.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå