> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Cindy Swearingen
>
> For full root pool recovery see the ZFS Administration Guide, here:
>
> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5461/ghzvz?l=en&a=view
>
> Recovering the ZFS Root Pool or Root Pool Snapshots

Unless I misunderstand, I think the intent of the OP question is how to do
bare metal recovery after some catastrophic failure.  In this situation,
recovery is much more complex than what the ZFS Admin Guide says above.  You
would need to boot from CD, and partition and format the disk, then create a
pool, and create a filesystem, and "zfs send | zfs receive" into that
filesystem, and finally install the boot blocks.  Only some of these steps
are described in the ZFS Admin Guide, because simply expanding the rpool is
a fundamentally easier thing to do.

Even though I think I could do that ... I don't have a lot of confidence in
it, and I can certainly imagine some pesky little detail being a problem.

This is why I suggested the technique of:
Reinstall the OS just like you did when you first built your machine, before
the catastrophy.  It doesn't even matter if you make the same selections you
made before (IP address, package selection, authentication method, etc) as
long as you're choosing to partition and install the bootloader like you did
before.

This way, you're sure the partitions, format, pool, filesystem, and
bootloader are all configured properly.
Then boot from CD again, and "zfs send | zfs receive" to overwrite your
existing rpool.

And as far as I know, that will take care of everything.  But I only feel
like 90% confident that would work.