Brandon High wrote:
I'm seeing some weird behavior on b133 with 'zfs inherit' that seems
to conflict with what the docs say. According to the man page it
"clears the specified property, causing it to be inherited from an
ancestor" but that's not the behavior I'm seeing.

For example:

basestar:~$ zfs get compress tank/export/vmware
NAME                PROPERTY                      VALUE
           SOURCE
tank/export/vmware  compression                   gzip
           local
basestar:~$ zfs get compress tank/export/vmware/delusional
NAME                           PROPERTY                        VALUE
                        SOURCE
tank/export/vmware/delusional  compression                     on
                        received
bh...@basestar:~$ pfexec zfs inherit compress tank/export/vmware/delusional
basestar:~$ zfs get compress tank/export/vmware/delusional
NAME                           PROPERTY                        VALUE
                        SOURCE
tank/export/vmware/delusional  compression                     on
                        received

Is this a bug in inherit, or is the documentation off?

That would be a bug. 'zfs inherit' is supposed to override received property values. This works for me on b140:

: to...@heavy[10]; zfs get compress tank/b
NAME    PROPERTY     VALUE     SOURCE
tank/b  compression  gzip      local
: to...@heavy[11]; zfs get compress tank/b/c
NAME      PROPERTY     VALUE     SOURCE
tank/b/c  compression  on        received
: to...@heavy[12]; zfs inherit compress tank/b/c
: to...@heavy[13]; zfs get compress tank/b/c
NAME      PROPERTY     VALUE     SOURCE
tank/b/c  compression  gzip      inherited from tank/b
: to...@heavy[14];

Then, to restore the received value:

: to...@heavy[14]; zfs inherit -S compress tank/b/c
: to...@heavy[15]; zfs get compress tank/b/c
NAME      PROPERTY     VALUE     SOURCE
tank/b/c  compression  on        received
: to...@heavy[16];

I don't remember this being an issue. I'll let you know if I find out more.

Tom