Hi there!

I am new to the list, and to OpenSolaris, as well as ZPS.

I am creating a zpool/zfs to use on my NAS server, and basically I want some
redundancy for my files/media.   What I am looking to do, is get a bunch of
2TB drives, and mount them mirrored, and in a zpool so that I don't have to
worry about running out of room. (I know, pretty typical I guess).

My problem is, is that not all 2TB hard drives are the same size (even
though they should be 2 trillion bytes, there is still sometimes a +/- (I've
only noticed this 2x so far) ) and if I create them mirrored, and one fails,
and then I replace the drive, and for some reason, it is 1byte smaller, it
will not work.

How would I go about fixing this "problem"?

****THIS is just a thought, I am looking for thoughts and opinions on doing
this... it prolly would be a bad idea, but hey, does it hurt to ask?****

I have been thinking, and would it be a good idea, to have on the 2TB
drives, say 1TB or 500GB "files" and then mount them as mirrored?   So
basically, have a 2TB hard drive, set up like:

(where drive1 and drive2 are the paths to the mount points)
Mkfile 465gb /drive1/drive1part1
Mkfile 465gb /drive1/drive1part2
Mkfile 465gb /drive1/drive1part3
Mkfile 465gb /drive1/drive1part4

Mkfile 465gb /drive2/drive2part1
Mkfile 465gb /drive2/drive2part2
Mkfile 465gb /drive2/drive2part3
Mkfile 465gb /drive2/drive2part4

(I use 465gb, as 2TB = 2trillion bytes, / 4 = 465.66 gb)

And then add them to the zpool
Zpool add medianas mirror /drive1/drive1part1 /drive2/drive2/part1
Zpool add medianas mirror /drive1/drive1part2 /drive2/drive2/part2
Zpool add medianas mirror /drive1/drive1part3 /drive2/drive2/part3
Zpool add medianas mirror /drive1/drive1part4 /drive2/drive2/part4

And then, if a drive goes and I only have a 500gb and a 1.5tb drives, they
could be replaced that way?

I am sure there are performance issues in doing this, but would the
performance outweigh the possibility of hard drive failure and replacing
drives?

Sorry for posting a novel, but I am just concerned about failure on bigger
drives, and putting my media/files into basically what consists of a JBOD
type array (on steroids).

Steve