On 05/ 6/10 05:32 AM, Richard Elling wrote:
On May 4, 2010, at 7:55 AM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Mon, 3 May 2010, Richard Elling wrote:
This is not a problem on Solaris 10. It can affect OpenSolaris, though.
That's precisely the opposite of what I thought.  Care to explain?
In Solaris 10, you are stuck with LiveUpgrade, so the root pool is
not shared with other boot environments.
Richard,

You have fallen out of touch with Solaris 10, which is still a moving target.
While the Live Upgrade commands you are familiar with in Solaris 10 still
mostly work as before, they *do* take advantage of zfs's features and boot
environments do share the same root pool just like in OpenSolaris.  Solaris 10
Live Upgrade is dramatically improved in conjunction with zfs boot.  I am not
sure how far behind it is from OpenSolaris new boot administration tools but
under zfs its function can not be terribly different.
Bob and Ian are right.  I was trying to remember the last time I installed
Solaris 10, and the best I can recall, it was around late fall 2007.
The fine folks at Oracle have been making improvements to the product
since then, even though no new significant features have been added since
that time :-(
ZFS boot?

--
Ian.