On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 01:14:24PM -0700, Charles Hedrick wrote:
> We use this configuration. It works fine. However I don't know
> enough about the details to answer all of your questions.
>
> The disks are accessible from both systems at the same time. Of
> course with ZFS you had better not actually use them from both
> systems.

That's what I wanted to know.  I'm not familiar with SAS fabrics, so
it's good to know that they operate similarly to multi-initiator SCSI
in a cluster.

> Actually, let me be clear about what we do. We have two J4200's and
> one J4400. One J4200 uses SAS disks, the others SATA. The two with
> SATA disks are used in Sun cluster configurations as NFS
> servers. They fail over just fine, losing no state. The one with SAS
> is not used with Sun Cluster. Rather, it's a Mysql server with two
> systems, one of them as a hot spare. (It also acts as a mysql slave
> server, but it uses different storage for that.) That means that our
> actual failover experience is with the SATA configuration. I will
> say from experience that in the SAS configuration both systems see
> the disks at the same time. I even managed to get ZFS to mount the
> same pool from both systems, which shouldn't be possible. Behavior
> was very strange until we realized what was going on.

Our situation is that we only need a small amount of shared storate
in the cluster.  It's intended for high-availability of core services,
such as DNS and NIS, rather than as a NAS server.

> I get the impression that they have special hardware in the SATA
> version that simulates SAS dual interface drives. That's what lets
> you use SATA drives in a two-node configuration. There's also some
> additional software setup for that configuration.

That would be the SATA interposer that does that.