> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Cassandra Pugh
>
>    I was wondering if there is a special option to share out a set of
> nested
>    directories?  Currently if I share out a directory with
> /pool/mydir1/mydir2
>    on a system, mydir1 shows up, and I can see mydir2, but nothing in
> mydir2.
>    mydir1 and mydir2 are each a zfs filesystem, each shared with the
> proper
>    sharenfs permissions.
>    Did I miss a browse or traverse option somewhere?

My understanding is thus:

If you set the sharenfs property, then the property is inherited by child
filesystems, and consequently automatically exported.
However, if you use the dfstab, you're doing it yourself manually, and the
child filesystems are not automatically exported.

Furthermore ... Exporting is only half of the problem.  There is still the
question of mounting.

I don't know how it works, but my understanding is that solaris/opensolaris
nfs clients automatically follow nested exports.  But linux is a different
matter.