On Sun, 30 May 2010, Sandon Van Ness wrote:

The problem is that when it does the write burst its taking away CPU
usage from rsync which is actually what might be causing the dip during
writes (not the I/O activity itself) but the CPU generated from the writes.

You didn't say which Solaris you are using, but I think that there are recent updates to Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris which are supposed to solve this problem (zfs blocking access to CPU by applications).

From Solaris 10 x86 (kernel 142901-09):

6586537 async zio taskqs can block out userland commands

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn