On 05/31/2010 01:13 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 2010, Sandon Van Ness wrote:
>>
>> The problem is that when it does the write burst its taking away CPU
>> usage from rsync which is actually what might be causing the dip during
>> writes (not the I/O activity itself) but the CPU generated from the
>> writes.
>
> You didn't say which Solaris you are using, but I think that there are
> recent updates to Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris which are supposed to
> solve this problem (zfs blocking access to CPU by applications).
>
> From Solaris 10 x86 (kernel 142901-09):
>
> 6586537 async zio taskqs can block out userland commands
>
> Bob

Btw I tried the work around in that bug:

http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do?bug_id=6586537

However I get:

zio_taskq_threads is not defined in 'zfs' module

when I make the change to /etc/system

also I get:

r...@opensolaris: 03:20 PM :/etc# echo zio_taskq_threads/D | mdb
mdb: failed to dereference symbol: unknown symbol name

also i can see its running a ton of threads from prstat from earlier.
Anyone know a way I can reduce it to one thread as I think that work
around will work for me.