FWIW.

I use 4 intel 32gb ssds as read cache for each pool of 10 Patriot Torx drives
which are running in a raidz2 configuration. No Slogs as I haven't seen a
compliant SSD drive yet.

I am pleased with the results. The bottleneck really turns out to be the 24
port raid card they are plugged into.

Bonnie++
Local read about 750 MB/sec
rewrite about 450 MB/sec
Write about 600 MB/sec if memory serves.

A SQLio test run from a fibre connected vmware guest reached over 16,000 IOPS
for 8k random reads. Because the vmware host only has a 4gb Fibre card max
reads were limited to a hair under 400 MB/sec. Useing several guest on two
VMware host machines achieved 690 MB/sec reads combined.