On Jun 7, 2010, at 2:10 AM, Erik Trimble <erik.trim...@oracle.com> wrote:

Comments in-line.

On 6/6/2010 9:16 PM, Ken wrote:

I'm looking at VMWare, ESXi 4, but I'll take any advice offered.

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 19:40, Erik Trimble <erik.trim...@oracle.com> wrote:
On 6/6/2010 6:22 PM, Ken wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking to build a virtualized web hosting server environment accessing files on a hybrid storage SAN. I was looking at using the Sun X-Fire x4540 with the following configuration: 6 RAID-Z vdevs with one hot spare each (all 500GB 7200RPM SATA drives)
2 Intel X-25 32GB SSD's as a mirrored ZIL
4 Intel X-25 64GB SSD's as the L2ARC.
De-duplification
LZJB compression
The clients will be Apache web hosts serving hundreds of domains.

I have the following questions:
Should I use NFS with all five VM's accessing the exports, or one LUN for each VM, accessed over iSCSI?

Generally speaking, it depends on your comfort level with running iSCSI Volumes to put the VMs in, or serving everything out via NFS (hosting the VM disk file in an NFS filesystem).

If you go the iSCSI route, I would definitely go the "one iSCSI volume per VM" route - note that you can create multiple zvols per zpool on the X4540, so it's not limiting in any way to volume-ize a VM. It's a lot simpler, easier, and allows for nicer management (snapshots/cloning/etc. on the X4540 side) if you go with a VM per iSCSI volume.

With NFS-hosted VM disks, do the same thing: create a single filesystem on the X4540 for each VM.

Vmware has a 32 mount limit which may limit the OP somewhat here.

Performance-wise, I'd have to test, but I /think/ the iSCSI route will be faster. Even with the ZIL SSDs.

Actually properly tuned they are about the same, but VMware NFS datastores are FSYNC on all operations which isn't the best for data vmdk files, best to serve the data directly to the VM using either iSCSI or NFS.

Are the FSYNC speed issues with NFS resolved?

The ZIL SSDs will compensate for synchronous write issues in NFS. Not completely eliminate them, but you shouldn't notice issues with sync writing until you're up at pretty heavy loads.

You will need this with VMware as every NFS operation (not just file open/close) coming out of VMware will be marked FSYNC (for VM data integrity in the face of server failure).

If it were me (and, given what little I know of your data), I'd go like this:

(1) pool for VMs:
        8 disks, MIRRORED
        1 SSD for L2ARC
        one Zvol per VM instance, served via iSCSI, each with:
                DD turned ON,  Compression turned OFF

(1) pool for clients to write data to (log files, incoming data, etc.)
        6 or 8 disks, MIRRORED
        2 SSDs for ZIL, mirrored
Ideally, As many filesystems as you have webSITES, not just client VMs. As this might be unwieldy for 100s of websites, you should segregate them into obvious groupings, taking care with write/ read permissions.
                NFS served
DD OFF, Compression ON (or OFF, if you seem to be having CPU overload on the X4540)

(1) pool for client read-only data
        All the rest of the disks, split into 7 or 8-disk RAIDZ2 vdevs
        All the remaining SSDs for L2ARC
As many filesystems as you have webSITES, not just client VMs. (however, see above)
                NFS served
DD on for selected websites (filesystems), Compression ON for everything

(2) Global hot spares.

Make your life easy and use NFS for VMs and data. If you need high performance data such as databases, use iSCSI zvols directly into the VM, otherwise NFS/CIFS into the VM should be good enough.

-Ross