On Jun 11, 2010, at 11:03, Joerg Schilling wrote:

Alex Blewitt <alex.blew...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Jun 11, 2010, at 10:43, Joerg Schilling wrote:

Jason King <ja...@ansipunx.net> wrote:

Well technically they could start with the GRUB zfs code, which is
GPL
licensed, but I don't think that's the case.

As explained in depth in a previous posting, there is absolutely no
legal
problem with putting the CDDLd original ZFS implementation into the
Linux
kernel.

You are sadly mistaken.

From GNU.org on license compatibilities:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

What you read there is completely wrong :-(

The FSF even knows that it is wrong as the FSF did never sue Veritas
for publishing a modified version of GNU tar that links against
close source libs from veritas.

The best you can do is to ignore it and to ask independent lawyers.

I encourage you to read my other post that in depth explains why the FSF
publishes incorrect claims.

There was nothing there other than fluff from a different website, though. And your argument "Look, it says it's Open Source here" means that they are compatible is not the generally held position of almost everyone else who has looked into this.

The GPL doesn't prevent you doing things. However, it does withdraw the agreement that you are permitted to copy someone else's work if you do those things. So whilst one can compile and link code together, you may not have the rights to use other's code without every committers individual agreement that you can copy their code.

The GPL doesn't prevent; it just withdraws rights - without which, you may be breaking copyright. And the GPL has been tested a number of times in court with regards to copyright violations where the GPL no longer covers you to do the same.

As an observation, the Eclipse Foundation lawyers have agreed that the GPL is incompatible with the EPL for the same reasons:

http://www.eclipse.org/legal/eplfaq.php#GPLCOMPATIBLE

Alex